Star Wars: Battlefront
Star Wars: Battlefront delivers a satisfying team-based shooter experience that many hardcore Star Wars fans will probably enjoy greatly.
When Star Wars: Battlefront was announced a year ago, the premise excited many fans of George Lucas' sci-fi franchise, if only because it just made so much sense. Battlefront would take some of the ubiquitous characters, vehicles, and weapons from Star Wars and incorporate them into a Battlefield 1942-style team-based shooter, featuring large maps, dozens of players, and plenty of drivable vehicles, in addition to on-foot shooting. Now that the game is finally available, we can confirm that Battlefront delivers this experience--no more and no less.
It's a solid multiplayer action game on its own merits, even if the premise is familiar. As such, how much you'll finally end up liking it will probably depend on how much you like Star Wars and how much Battlefield-style gameplay you've already been exposed to.
Though Battlefront is a multiplayer-focused game, it has a single-player component in which you can fight with and against computer-controlled players (also known as bots). Aside from an instant action mode, the game offers two different single-player modes. One is the historical campaign, which includes two linear campaigns that follow the story arcs from episodes IV through VI and episodes I through III of the films. You'll be treated to a short film clip prior to each map, but you won't be given any choices as to which side you can play, although you will be switching sides over the course of each campaign. The battle maps are populated with bots, which exhibit a respectable level of artificial intelligence. You'll see friendly pilots tossing you ammo and health when you need it, and you can even issue simple commands to nearby teammates. But overall, the AI shouldn't pose much of a challenge to experienced players.
* Operating System: Windows 98SE, Millennium Edition (ME), 2000, or XP
* 100% DirectX 9.0c compatible computer
* CPU: Intel P3 1.0GHz or AMD Athlon 1000MHz
* Memory: 256MB RAM
* Graphics Card: 64MB 3D Graphics card w/Hardware Transform & Lighting (T&L) Capability
* Soud Card: 100% DirectX 9.0c compatible soundcard
* CD Drive: 8X Speed CD-ROM drive
* Input Device: Keyboard & Mouse
* For Multiplayer: Internet/LAN: Supports 2 - 32 players
* Internet connection for Multiplayer: DSL, Cable, or faster connection
* Operating System: Windows XP
* CPU: Intel P4 2.0GHz or AMD AthlonXP 2400+
* Memory: 512MB RAM
* Graphics Card: 128MB 3D Graphics card w/Hardware Vertex & Pixel Shader (VS/PS) Capability
* Sound Card: 100% DirectX 9.0c compatible soundcard
* CD-Drive: 16X Speed CD-ROM drive
* Input Device: Keyboard & Mouse; Joystick & Gamepad are also supported